Sunday, February 20, 2011

1. Text Over Time

It was just a moment ago that my roommate turned on Emma, BBC's latest and - in my opinion - greatest attempt to bring a masterpiece of literature to the television screen. When Jane Austen first picked up her object for writing, her audience was severely limited by transportation issues. From the original audience, it has spun into something past a mere reading audience. As an avid reader, I have perused this text multiple times, so it saddens me when I see it condensed into main plot points for SparkNotes. It may speak to more people, but it does not make it a better product. There was an article I read in high school that I found in a newspaper speaking of cell phone novels. It may just be me, but to see beautiful language confined to “Emma could c Mr. K. b4 any1 else” makes me want to cry. Media needs to think of the good of the product before changing its distribution. Creating inferior products reduces interest in the product as a whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment