Monday, March 21, 2011

21. Public Relations and Social Media

I am a PR major, so I often see things from a public relations perspective. Combine that with an article I read about PR practitioners using social media, and you have a blog post. Stick with me friends, this may be a bumpy one!

How is social media/internet changing how companies are viewed? On one side, there is a rise of non-traditional companies. Businesses that would have never survived on the street where you live because the demand was not great enough in one localized area, not only survive but thrive. After all, nationalized is another kettle of fish entirely. People can buy and sell, create and sell, essentially ANYTHING and sell! The key is to link yourself into their lives. With giveaways, many companies create a place for themselves in your life with you volunteering that space.

The flip side is represented by traditional companies. While you don't see many full-fledged campaigns for say, Volvo, you do get some very exciting viral videos. Old Spice... need I say more? If I do, here it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment